15 August 2009

Starting a personal blog

Part of being a 21st century teacher--the first step, really--is getting "out there." No, this isn't a post about dating or even online dating. This is a post about getting on the world wide web and getting familiar with the tools that today's students and today's citizens are using.

Many of my friends have had personal blogs for quite a while now. I enjoy reading about my friends' adventures in other states and other countries and watching their children grow up through my computer. But I'd been hesitant to start my own blog. Is it dangerous to make my digital footprint too big? Does my daughter, who can certainly say "no" but probably can't really think through the decision (at age 2) want to grow up online? Is it safe for her to grow up online? Do I have time to keep up a personal blog? Would anyone want to read it?

Those are all important questions. I can't pretend to have the answers (or to have thought about all the questions), but I think anyone who decides to blog (personally or professionally) should answer them for him/herself. So I did.

#1 Is it dangerous to make my digital footprint too big?
No more dangerous than living and breathing and leaving real footprints. How I conduct myself online reflects who I am as a person. I won't put any information online that is private, unprofessional or disrespectful. Just as I am myself when I meet new people in person, I can be myself on the web.

#2 Does my daughter want to grow up online?
I'm not sure. At some point, I am sure she'll be able to tell me. But for now, I know that she is growing up as a digital native. She is already comfortable with some technology and in the near future, I predict that she will be helping me with my technology troubles. I imagine that she will be similar to my current high school students who seem to be able to text, myspace, tweet, and facebook in their sleep. So she'll probably feel quite comfortable growing up online. I'm sure I'll embarrass her at some points in her life online and in person. That's what parents do. But if I keep the dialog open, I can always change how I blog about my family as she grows and shares her feelings with me. Or maybe she'll take over the family blog someday!

#3 Is it safe for her to grow up online?
Is it safe for anyone to grow up? Yes, I'm horrified when I hear stories of children meeting dangerous adults online. I'm also horrified when I hear stories of children coming in contact with dangerous adults in person. In fact, I'm horrified and scared when I watch my toddler's feet get ahead of her and see her take a tumble on the playground. In the almost two years that I have been a parent, I have realized that yes, the world is a dangerous place (more dangerous than I imagined when my parents taught me that) and that worry is a part of a parent's daily life (sometimes a very big part)! But no parent can stop a child from growing up. In fact, we want our children to grow up to be healthy and happy. So while she's growing up, I intend to teach my daughter how to be safe in person and online.

#4 Do I have time to keep up a personal blog?
I don't know. We'll see. I post pictures online. I update my facebook status. I always loved to journal but haven't journaled in many years. This may be a great way to share some of our family experiences with friends and family who don't see us very often and also to reflect on my daughter's childhood and our growth as a family. And as far as I know, there are no rules about how often you have to blog. :)

#5 Would anyone want to read it?
I'm sure there are at least some grandparents out there who would be interested.

So I answered the questions to my satisfaction and started the personal blog. I'm a little more "out there" now. When I return to school in the fall, my German students will be using Moodle to blog about culture, language, and in the upper levels, their own thoughts in German on various topics. Since I'm making blogging, an important 21st century skill, a focus of my instruction, I'm also making it part of my life.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading the questions you raised about blogging, Jen. I like how you are approaching this with an open mind, without boxing yourself in with a particular commitment. And I like reading your thoughts about parenting, blogging, and the size of your “digital footprint.” What a nice visual to relay this concept!

    I too have the same questions. Blogging is time consuming! But I myself enjoyed spending the day reflecting, writing, and publishing a piece on my blog. Seeing that you wrote a piece inspired me to take the time and write myself. I too don't know how much time I will be able to devote to my blog once school starts, but I am finding it enjoyable and useful as I prepare myself mentally for the upcoming school year. I look forward to reading your blog posts throughout the year. All the best to you in your teaching this year...

    ReplyDelete